Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"I knew the years would move quickly, but never quite as fast as this." -DCFC

Somehow I convinced myself it hadn'tbeen that long since I lasted updated this blog. Apparently it's beentwo and a half weeks...which is quite a while in blog time. So whathaven't I talked about yet?


A few weeks ago, CCC Edgewatercelebrated it's first Easter service, and we did so by gathering onthe beach at the shore of Lake Michigan. It was a great time. Thoughthe weather had been pretty cold the previous week, it was quitepleasant that morning, and I was almost hot in my button-up andsweater. We all spread out on some white tarps that were nailed intothe ground, and for about an hour we sang and listened to Rich preachas sea gulls called to each other down by the water. Afterwards, weall walked back to Rich and Dori's apartment for brunch.

About a week later, “Blue Like Jazz”the movie hit theaters. BLJ the book is a set of spiritual memoirs byDonald Miller that has meant a lot to me. I was given a free copy bythe Christian Fellowship at my school during my first week of collegeat Pace University. The concept of spiritual memoirs had never evenentered my mind before, and reading the book is what made me switchmy major from Theatre to English. The next year, I became a leader atPace's Christian Fellowship, and I had a great time handing out thebook to everyone, telling them how it changed my life. We would ordermini versions in bulk and carried them around in big mesh laundrybags. People on the subway would give me weird looks, and I wouldoffer them a free copy. As you can imagine, I was excited to see thefilm. We went on a Monday night with our friend Lisa. When we firstwalked in, the theater was vacant but a handful of others filtered inbefore to movie started. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Despite thelow budget and the complexities involved in turning a set of essaysinto one continuous plot, the movie was an engaging and earnest lookat faith and, in a larger sense, becoming an adult. Go see it if youget the chance.

After the movie, we all went and ate atthe Ihop where our friend Josh recently got a job as a server. Lisahas been on a vegan kick lately, so when we were all talking aboutwhat we wanted, she said, “I can't eat anything with a face.” SoI said, “I guess you can't eat this, then,” pointing to the kidspancake in the menu that was topped with strawberries and whip creamin the shape of a face. I thought that was hilarious, but apparentlyno one else did.

The next night, Cary Anne and I wentwith a couple of friends from church to see Death Cab for Cutie playat the Chicago Theater downtown. I noticed that our concert-going ismoving in a circular pattern. When we were dating, we saw DashboardConfessional, Avett Brothers, Death Cab, City and Colour, and TheSwell Season. Now, since we've been married, we've seen Dashboard,Avett Bros, and Death Cab. Music has always been a big part of CA'sand my relationship, starting with when we used to trade mix CDs backwhen we were just friends. On this night, DCFC was playing with theMagik*Magik Orchestra, which was particularly amazing. The stringsbrought so much emotion to the music, adding a deeper sense of sorrowto songs like “What Sarah Said” and “Tiny Vessels” while, atthe same time, adding a greater sense of joy and beauty to works like“Soul Meets Body” and “Passenger Seat.” One of favorite partswas the fact that they played some of my favorites from their mucholder albums, like “No Joy in Mudville,” “Tiny Fury Bugs”(which includes a nice Chicago shout out), and “Army Corp ofArchitects.” Even the stripped-down, orchestra-less encore of“Steadier Footing” was great. All-in-all, it was easily one of myfavorite concerts I've ever been to, like discovering Death Cab forthe first time.


There's more to catch you up on, butthis post is already getting a little long, so I guess it will haveto wait until next time. Hopefully it won't be another half a month.

No comments:

Post a Comment